Nuffnang Ads

Sunday, February 19, 2012

I LOOK TO YOU- WHITNEY HOUSTON SONG INTEPRETATION

Hye-All!!!

This entry is dedicated to Whitney Houston. I am just a big fan of her. She had a amazing beautiful voice and she done a lot to the music. It will be remembered forever. I would always want to post this entry after the day she died but I did not have the chance to actually post it. So, here I am, I am posting it.

First, I would like to write about the a few songs that have meaning (deep meaning) sang by Whitney Houston in her life. Since she passed away, so, this is my way of memorising her contribution to the world of music. No doubt that I did influenced by her music and her incredible voice. Love her very much. I will always love you, made famous by Whitney Houston which wrote by Dolly Parton. Both Whitney and Dolly sang that song and it has very good achievements and they also have different versions of the song. So, this is also one of her songs. Lets take a look.

I Look To You

As I lay me down
Heaven hear me now
I’m lost without a cause
After giving it my all

Winter storms have come
And darkened my sun
After all that I’ve been through
Who on earth can I turn to?

Chorus:
I look to you,
I look to you
After all my strength is gone
In you I can be strong
I look to you,
I look to you
And when melodies are gone
In you I hear a song
I look to you

'bout to lose my breath
There's no more fighting left
Sinking to rise no more
Searching for that open door

And every road that I've taken
Led to my regret
And I don't know if I'm go'n make it
Nothing to do but lift my head

Chorus:

My levees are broken
My walls are coming down on me
My rain is falling
Defeat is calling
I need you to set me free

Take me far away from the battle
I need you
Shine on me!


I Look To You was her first comeback song and this song actually telling a big story about her struggles in her past years. She did manage to actually perform the song very well in a few occasions all around the world. Yes, some people said that she lost the voice but to me, after watching a few video footage of her singing, it was actually a breath taking. She was not at her best condition, because of the drugs, alcohol and so on, but she did a great job to the world' music. She also changed the scene of music today. She will be remembered as one of the greatest singer of ALL TIME. 

As we look at the I Look To You lyrics, we actually can understand the deep meaning of each and every word there.

As I lay me down
Heaven hear me now
I’m lost without a cause
After giving it my all

In this stanza, she said about the she had tried her very best in this world. She did look up to the sky and hope that the heaven still want to hear her singing. She had a big hope to the world.

Winter storms have come
And darkened my sun
After all that I’ve been through
Who on earth can I turn to?

In this stanza, she said about after the shining sky before (her hey-days), but the winter storms have come and darkened my sun. Which means, she had battle with the addictions (drugs, divorce, alcohol, down record sales and so on) and finally, she understand and realised to whom she could turn to? She asked the question to herself.
I look to you,
I look to you
After all my strength is gone
In you I can be strong
I look to you,
I look to you
And when melodies are gone
In you I hear a song
I look to you

Here, we can interpret several meaning, I look to you, the word YOU brings a lot of meanings. You could be her family, her daughter, the God, her fans, her friends (artists) her manager and many more. But to me, the perfect reference would be her fans. Her fans played a big role in bringing her up back to the music scene. She had made a come back and it was a very successful come back. Without her fans, there would be no Whitney Houston. "All my strength is gone, In you I can be strong" she knew that whenever she needs helps, she can turn to her fans, her fans would give anything to see her healthy again. She just knew it. "And when melodies are gone, In you I hear a song", which means, even though she thought that she had lost her melodies but actually, her melodies were growing stronger and stronger in her fans' hearts. That is for sure. People of the world would always remember Whitney Houston. The joy that she brought to this world through music.

'bout to lose my breath
There's no more fighting left
Sinking to rise no more
Searching for that open door

And every road that I've taken
Led to my regret
And I don't know if I'm go'n make it
Nothing to do but lift my head

In this stanzas, the second ones brought very deep meaning, she said about she regretted all the bad things that she done. Which led to her regret. She did not know whether if she gonna make it (live the life with healthy life alongside families, fans, friends and so on). But she had to lift her head up to face the world and to actually face her life. She had to. And she did.  

My levees are broken
My walls are coming down on me
My rain is falling
Defeat is calling
I need you to set me free

Take me far away from the battle
I need you
Shine on me!

In this stanzas, she said about how her levees, walls are broken (protection), she cried and defeat came to her and she need that someone to set her free. Which here, the best reference is HERSELF or God. She wanted that someone to take her away from the battle that she was in (which it implied that the battle is still on even after her perfect comeback). She needs that someone and to bring back the joy to her live. But as we all know, a night before the Grammy 2012, she found dead in her hotel. RIP Whitney Houston. 


That is my interpretation on her "I Look To You" song. Hope you all readers also have the same interpretation with mine but if you have different perspectives then feel free to comment on my blog. I would appreciate it a lot. Thank you.



p/s: The world would not be the same anymore.

4 comments:

  1. waa, good explanation, thumbs up! anyway, why are you not chhosing literature as your research, you are good in explaining implicit meaning, I really mean it, from the bottom of my heart....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well... thank you kak yuni. You did have a good heart. I do not know about choosing literature as my forte even though I love literature but it is too subjective. I just need something concrete for my research. That's all. btw, thanks for commenting on my blog. Appreciate it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAhaha... nazirah!!! saja takdak kerja lagi... hahaha....kuikui.. tapi aku memang suka pun interpret ni...

    ReplyDelete